Our quest takes us to some of the most respected vineyards across the Napa and Sonoma Valleys. Our focus is on vineyard designate wines that exemplify the terroir of their respective vineyards. Our intention with each bottle, is that we fulfill our promise a thousand times over – only the best of the best bears the Stewart family name.
Moon Mountain AVA, Sonoma, Mayacamas Mountains
We are proud to announce our new estate vineyard, Montecillo Vineyard, located on Sonoma's Moon Mountain AVA and in the Mayacamas Mountains. The 51 acres of vines are primarly platned to Zinfandel and Cabernet Sauvignon, with one block of Cabernet Sauvignon planted in 1964 making the vines some of the oldest in California. Family winemaker, Blair Guthrie calls this block "the holy grail for winemaker.
The vineyard is entirely dry and organically farmed and its 1,800 foot elevation with red volcanic soils produce beautiful, elegant wines that pair perfectly with food.
You can look forward to seeing new wines from this vineyard in the coming years.
The NOMAD Collection Vineyards
The Beckstoffer Vineyards
Beckstoffer To Kalon
Perhaps the most famous of the Beckstoffer vineyards, Beckstoffer To Kalon was purchased from Beaulieu Vineyard in 1993. Napa pioneer Hamilton Crabb first planted the vineyard in 1868, and it has produced some of the Napa Valley's best red grapes ever since. Replanted in 1994 to multiple clones of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc with modern trellising and closer vine spacing, the vineyard produces several highly coveted vineyard-designated wines. In 2007 the property was placed under a land conservation easement that forever prohibits non-agricultural development.
Beckstoffer Dr. Crane
Napa pioneer Dr. George Belden Crane originally planted Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard in 1858. During the 1920's the Chinatown of the City of St. Helena was located on the site. Acquired by Beckstoffer Vineyards in 1997, the vineyard’s gravelly loam soils were replanted in 1998 to multiple clones of Cabernet Sauvignon, Petit Verdot and Cabernet Franc.
Beckstoffer Bourn Vineyard was originally the vineyard of William Bowers Bourn II, considered the last Bonanza King of the California Gold Rush because of his ownership of the Empire Mine – the finest gold mine in California. Bourn is also credited with having built Greystone Cellars in St. Helena (currently the Culinary Institute of America Greystone). He purchased his vineyard in St. Helena in 1872 as a family home and much of the original vineyard land remains in the care of his descendants to this day. A portion of the original vineyard was purchased by Beckstoffer Vineyards in 2010. Planted with head-trained, old-growth Petite Syrah and various clones of Cabernet Sauvignon, the Beckstoffer Bourn vineyard is our newest Heritage vineyard.
Beckstoffer Las Piedras
Planted to vineyard for over 150 years, Beckstoffer Las Piedras traces its history back to the original Mexican land grants. In the 1840’s European settler, Edward Bale planted the property, a wedding gift to he and his wife from General Vallejo, to Mission grapes. It became the first vineyard planted in what is now the St. Helena appellation. The vineyard was first planted to wine grape varietals by Henry Amstutz, a colleague of Henry Pallet, one of California’s first great winemakers, who established one of the first wineries in the Valley on the adjoining property in 1860. In 1983 Beckstoffer Vineyards purchased the property and planted it to two clones of Cabernet Sauvignon. Impressed with the quality of the gravelly soil, the farm workers named the vineyard Las Piedras, which means little pebbles.
Beckstoffer Georges III
Historical records show that a portion of this vineyard was planted in 1895 by Mrs. Thomas Rutherford. This 300-acre parcel first purchased by Beaulieu founder Georges de Latour in 1928 and called Beaulieu Vineyard Number 3, was the home to BV’s Rutherford Cabernets made by the renowned winemaker Andre Tchelistcheff. These wines achieved wide acclaim in the 1960’s and 70’s, establishing BV’s pre-eminence in the making of fine Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. Purchased by Beckstoffer Vineyards in 1988, the vineyard has since been replanted using new Cabernet Sauvignon clones with tighter spacing and advanced trellising systems, enhancing both quality and grape tonnage. In 2009 181 acres were placed under a land conservation esement that forever prohibits non-agricultural development. Vineyard Georges III is today home to the main offices of Beckstoffer Vineyards.
Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper
Located north of the town of Yountville in the Oakville AVA, Beckstoffer Missouri Hopper was originally part of a large piece of land owned by George C. Yount, from whom the town of Yountville takes its name. Purchased by Charles Hopper and given to his daughter Missouri in 1877, the land was planted to wine grapes and, as much of the Napa land was at that time, prunes and walnuts. In 1960, the land was purchased by Bruce Kelham as part of the historic Vine Hill Ranch. Purchased by Beckstoffer Vineyards from the Kelham family in 1996, the vineyard is today planted with multiple clones of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. In 2002, the property was placed under a land conservation easement that forever prohibits non-agricultural development.